The Faculty of Civil Law aims to develop men and women trained in the theory and practice of law and so imbued with Christian virtues and principles as to be worthy members of the legal profession and the community, particularly in the pursuit of truth and the promotion of justice under a regime of liberty and democracy.
The Faculty of Civil Law is the oldest lay faculty in the University as well in the Philippines. It was established on September 2, 1734, the same year that the Faculty of Canon Law was founded, with a curriculum identical to that adopted during the time in leading universities in Europe. The number of subjects in the curriculum was later enriched and expanded. During the major part of the Spanish regime the course consisted of twelve semesters (six years), based upon a year of preparatory work.
Jose P. Laurel
Manuel L. Quezon
During the American regime, the University of Santo Tomas modified several times the curriculum of the Faculty of Civil Law in order to meet the changing conditions. But firm in the resolve of turning out worthy members of the Bar and practical Catholic lawyers, the University adhered to its basic policy of retaining in its curriculum important subjects introduced during the Spanish regime in order to fully accomplish the aims and purposes of a sound Catholic legal education.
Under the republic of the Philippines, the faculty of civil law, faithful to the age-old principles guiding her mission, continues imparting the same old formation, exacting the same academic discipline, and striving to serve the best interests of the profession and the nation.
Throughout her centuries old existence, the faculty has served the nation with four presidents: Manuel L. Quezon, Sergio Osmeña, Jose P. Laurel, and Diosdado Macapagal. And it also produced six chief Justices: Cayetano Arellano, Victorio Mapa, Manuel Araullo, Ramon Avanceña, Roberto Conception and Andres P. Narvasa.
Diosdado P. Macapagal
The Faculty had produced at least 3 graduates who placed first in the annual bar examinations. Roberto Concepcion in 1924, Diosdado Macapagal in 1933 and Arlene Maneja in 2002. Jose W. Diokno topped the bar exams in 1944 although he was not able to finish his law degree in UST due to the outbreak of the second world war.
The Faculty of Civil Law is located at the ground floor of the Main Building. It has an auditorium devoted principally to the bar review program, new moot court and a new faculty lounge. All these facilities and classrooms are air-conditioned.
The Central Library is also open to law students subject to the usual processing of the prescribed requirements. Sports facilities and the University Museum may also be used by students in accordance with University rules. A chapel, hospital, bookstore, bank, several canteens and a post office are located within the campus for the convenience of the students.
Program of Studies
The Faculty of Civil Law offers only one program which leads to the degree of Juris Doctor (J.D.) program. To obtain this degree, the student must pass all subjects under the prescribed curriculum.
The Faculty of Civil Law operates on a semestral basis. Each semester lasts for about five months. An academic year covers two semesters.
Classes in the Faculty of Civil Law are held from Monday to Saturday, usually from the late afternoon up to evening.
Suspension of Classes
Only the following persons may suspend classes in the Faculty of Civil Law: